Here we go again, they keep using the same playbook…~TS
By Zero Hedge
- Seven people have been killed and at least 48 unjured in a van and stabbing terrorist attacks took place in London on Saturday night
- The first attack took place on London Bridge followed shortly by an attack in Borough Market
- Three attackers were shot dead. One was seen with canisters strapped to his body.
- The Met Police say they believe all bridge attackers have been killed
- The attacks started when a white van drove into Pedestrians on London Bridge around 10:30pm on Saturday.
- A BBC eyewitness said ‘They shouted ‘this is is for Allah’, as they stabbed indiscriminately’
- ‘I saw a man with a large blade’: witnesses describe the attack after the van attack.
- Theresa May and the Met Police have declared the attacks are being treated as acts of terror
- Donald Trump told London “we are with you” after the terror attacks.
- This is the third terror attack in the UK since March:
- On 22 May, 22 people were killed and 116 injured in a suicide bombing at Manchester Arena.
- On 22 March, six people died, including the attacker, and at least 50 people were injured in an attack near the Houses of Parliament.
Timeline of London events via Telegraph (local time)
- 10.07pm Ambulance services were called to reports of a vehicle ploughing through pedestrians on London Bridge, arriving within six minutes.
- 10.08pm Police are called to the scene. Officers then attended a second incident at nearby Borough Market after reports of stabbings.
- 10.16pm Within eight minutes, three male suspects were shot dead in Borough Market by police marksman. The men were wearing what looked like explosive vests but these were later found to be hoaxes.
- 12.25am on Sunday Both incidents were declared by the Metropolitan Police as terror attacks.
- 4am Police confirm six people were killed in the rampage.
- 9.30am Seven people have died, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick confirms
* * *
Update 11:20 pm: ‘They could be anywhere, this is out of control’
Speaking to the NYT, eyewitness Danny Farre said: “this is a complete nightmare, we are stuck here while there are maniacs on the loose and nobody is helping us. They could be anywhere, this is out of control.”
Les Hunter, 33, from Liverpool, who was visiting a friend in London, stepped out of a pub as the incident unfolded at 10.15 pm. “We saw people running out of Borough Market and straight after heard gunshots,” he said. “We went back into the pub and people starting running in telling us to get down and hide,” he recalled. “I ran up to the gents and hid, but when I looked out the window I saw a guy with blood all over his face and T-shirt.”?
* * *
10:53 pm. A total of six people were killed in London attacks, three terrorism suspects shot.
London Police have announced that six people have been killed and 20 injured in the attack. Three attackers have been shot dead by police, Scotland Yard said. Police said they believed there were no more than three attackers. “Armed response officers then responded very quickly and bravely and confronted the three male suspects who were shot and killed on Borough Market,” Mark Rowley, Britain’s top anti-terrorism officer, said. “Sadly, six people have died in addition to the three attackers shot by police,” he said. “The suspects had been confronted and shot by police within eight minutes of the first call. The suspects were wearing what looked like explosive vests but these were later established to be hoaxes.”
Meanwhile, London Ambulance says the number of people taken to hospital has risen from 20 to more than 30.
Below is the full statement from Met Police assistant commissioner Mark Rowley.
“Since late yesterday evening [Saturday, 3 June], the Metropolitan Police Service has been responding to incidents in the London Bridge and Borough Market areas of south London. We are treating this as a terrorist incident and a full investigation is already underway, led by the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command.
“You will understand that our knowledge of the incident is still growing but what we understand at the present time is:
- At 22:08hrs yesterday evening we began to receive reports that a vehicle had struck pedestrians on London Bridge.
- The vehicle continued to drive from London Bridge to Borough Market.
- The suspects then left the vehicle and a number of people were stabbed, including an on-duty British Transport Police officer who was responding to the incident at London Bridge. He received serious but not life-threatening injuries. His family has been informed.
- Armed officers responded very quickly and bravely, confronting three male suspects who were shot and killed in Borough Market. The suspects had been confronted and shot by the police within eight minutes of the first call. The suspects were wearing what looked like explosive vests but these were later established to be hoaxes.
“The ongoing operation is led by the Met, working closely with British Transport Police, City of London Police, the London Ambulance Service and the London Fire Brigade.
“At this stage, we believe that six people have died in addition to the three attackers shot dead by police. And at least 20 casualties have been taken to six hospitals across London.
“I’d like to repeat our request for the public to avoid the following areas: London Bridge and Borough Market. This is to allow emergency services to deal with this incident.
“The investigation is being led by the Counter Terrorism Command and we would ask anybody who has images or film of the incident to pass those to police by uploading it at www.ukpoliceimageappeal.co.uk.
“Our thoughts are with all those involved and those responding to both incidents. Those who are concerned about a loved one can contact the Casualty Bureau on 0800 0961 233.
“We are reviewing and planning to strengthen our policing stance across London over the forthcoming days, and there will be additional police and officers deployed across the Capital.
“I would like to ask the public to remain vigilant and let us know if they see anything suspicious that causes them concern and dial 999 immediately.”
* * *
Update 10:54pm: How the London Bridge attack played out
BBC correspondent Tom Symonds outlines how events unfolded on Saturday night, saying witnesses described seeing a van crashing into pedestrians on the southern side of London Bridge.
Eyewitnesses said three people – armed with knives – were seen jumping out of the van and they began attacking. Mr Symonds said a police shooting followed the attack but it was not clear who was shot, nor how many. Some eyewitnesses claimed they saw one attacker dead or not moving, and another on the ground who may have been alive. The alleged attackers ran round the corner from where the van hit the people on the bridge to Borough Market, he said. Explosions were heard coming from the bridge, Mr Symonds says. He suspects it was a controlled explosion but nothing has been confirmed by police. From being at the scene, Mr Symonds said he did not think the incident was continuing.
* * *
Update 10:51 pm. ‘All they wanted to do was kill people’
Cited by the Telegraph, eyewitness Gerard Vowls said he was near the Borough market when he saw three attackers.
“All they wanted to do was kill people,” he said. “It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever seen,” he told the Wall Street Journal.
* * *
Update 10:49 pm. President Trump spoke with British PM Theresa May, offers “the full support of the United States”
* * *
* * *
Update 10:33 pm. An eyewitness on London Bridge, told the BBC he saw three men stabbing people indiscriminately, shouting “this is for Allah”.
“I saw these three Muslim guys run up and started stabbing this girl. They attacked her and stabbed another guy. They started running up the road, stabbed the bouncer at the Tavern. “I was throwing bottles at them, pint glasses, stools, chairs, but I was defenceless.
“They were running up saying ‘this is for Allah’.”
“They stabbed this girl maybe ten, 15 times. She was saying ‘help me, help me’.” He claimed he had hit one of the attackers on the back of the head by throwing things at him, and was chased, but escaped unharmed.
John Stokes, London bus tour guide, said he counted eight people lying in the road or pavement receiving medical treatment on London Bridge.
He had arrived on the scene with a bus full of tourists moments after the attack, initially thinking it was a one-off traffic accident before seeing the number of casualties. After the police arrived, he said, an office banged on the bus door and told everyone on the bus to run towards Monument. “All the tourists on our bus ran for their lives,” he said.
* * *
Update 10:20 pm. A picture has emerged ot the London Bridge attack vehicle: according to BBC, this is a picture of the white van Hertz van which is seen crashed into what looks like railings.
* * *
Update 10:14 pm: According to Sky News, the London police are still trying to locate one suspect.
* * *
Update 10:07 pm: The NYPD is saying there there are no specific, credible threats in New York City following London’s terror attack. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security issued a statement saying they are “monitoring” the situation in Britain.
‘We are working with our interagency partners and foreign counterparts to gain further insight into reported attacks against civilians on London Bridge and in the surrounding area,” the statement read. “U.S. citizens in the area should heed direction from local authorities and maintain security awareness. We encourage any affected U.S. citizens who need assistance to contact the U.S. Embassy in London and follow Department of State guidance.”
The twitter account of the NYPD Counterrrorism unit has tweeted that “while there are no specific/credible threats to #NYC, our Critical Response Command is deployed at heavily travelled pedestrian locations”
* * *
Update 10:01 pm. London Ambulance issued a statement about the incident in London Bridge according to which “we have taken at least 20 patients to six hospitals across London.”
* * *
Update 8:54 pm. The Telegraph has shown the following picture distributed on social media showing a man lying on the ground who appears to have canisters strapped to him. It was taken in the Borough Market area.
The BBC earlier tonight reported an unnamed eyewitness, a security guard who works across multiple bars and pubs in Borough Market, claiming to have seen a man with a canister strapped to his abdomen. Stressing that the reports were unverified, the news channel claims the man saw the attackers after receiving a call from a colleague in another bar who said people had been stabbed.
The eyewitness described people running away screaming from three men, one wearing a red and black top. He claimed one man had a canister taped to his abdomen. The man and his colleagues tried to throw chairs at the three attackers, who were going in and out of different bars, before helping to evacuate the area
* * *
Update 8:40 pm. BBC reports that two attackers are believed to have been gunned down – believed killed – by armed police, The Sun says citing witnesses. Another three attackers are thought to still be on the run, the newspaper adds.
* * *
Update 8:31 pm. London Mayor, Sadiq Khan has issed the following statement on the “horrific terrorist attack” at London Bridge and Borough Market.
* * *
Update 8:30 pm. Eyewitness: ‘About 50 police were pointing guns at us’
Describing the attack at Borough Market, Kumi de Costa tells BBC what she saw:
“The cab driver turned into the market and we got stuck right in the middle of the shooting we were in a one-way street and couldn’t turn around. There were loads of shots being fired. Two people were on the floor behind the church with two or three people leaning over them. About 50 police were pointing guns at us – the cab driver had the laser pointed right at them, our hands were up, we were trying to get out so they shooed us away.
“A man was coming out of the restaurant, he had a napkin on his neck with blood pouring out, there was another man lying on the floor. I don’t know if he was in the recovery position or dead. We weaved through little side streets where the police were telling us to go to Blackfriars Bridge and we could see people looking over the side; people had maybe jumped over the bridge. A couple of times we had to lie down on the floor of the cab because of the shooting around us.”
* * *
Update 8:27 pm. According to the deputy digital news editor for The Sun there have been explosions outside The Sun’f office.
According to subsequent reports, these were “controlled” explosions.
* * *
* * *
Update 8:20pm: The Met Police also declare today’s two attacks terrorist attacks:
Update: 7:53 U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May has released a statement officially confirming that tonight’s attacks are being treated as acts of terrorism.
“Following updates from our police and security officials, I can confirm that the terrible incident in London is being treated as a potential act of terrorism”
“This is a fast moving investigation. I want to express my huge gratitude to the police and emergency services who are on th scene, our thoughts are with those who are caught up in these dreaful events.”
May’s declaration confirms that this is the UK’s third terror incident in less than three months.
* * *
President Donald Trump has tweeted twice since the incident, which began about an hour and a half ago when a white van drove into pedestrians on London Bridge. The president has signaled that “we need to be smart, vigilant and tough. We need the courts to give us back our rights. We need the Travel Ban as an extra level of safety!”
* * *
Update 7:15 pm
Reports have emerged that ISIS has taken responsibility for the attack
Separately, Theresa May, who has been campaigning in the General Election, was returning to Downing Street to receive further briefings from security officials.
According to the Telegraph, May will chair a Cobra meeting about tonight’s incidents first thing on Sunday morning. It is understood that the Prime Minister was in her Maidenhead constituency when she was alerted to the news. So-called Cobra meetings are named after Cabinet Office Briefing Room A, where crisis response meetings are held. They usually include the Prime Minister and senior cabinet ministers as well as intelligence and security officials. May held two Cobra meetings in one day less than two weeks ago on the day of the Manchester bombing.
Meanwhile, armed police have evacuated the Shard, the Globe and businesses in a mile radius of the scene.
* * *
Update 6:55 p m
BBC reports that multiple people have been killed in the various incidents in London, with Telegraph reporting that according to Police sources at least two people have been killed in the London Bridge area.
* * *
Update: 6:42 pm
According to a BBC reporter at the scene, police are now searching for three possibly armed suspects. According to Sky News, citing Scotland Yard, there has been a third separate incident in the Vauxhall region in South London. The BBC also adds that it can confirm earlier reports of gunshots being fired. Reports suggest it may have been more than one incident:
- A van hitting people at London Bridge and three people then jumping out of the vehicle and attacking members of the public;
- A separate incident at Borough Market
- Police have now said they are responding to a third incident in Vauxhall
It is understood that police are looking for three suspects who may be armed.
Later, the Met Police said the Vauxhall incident was a knife attack unconnected to the other two incidents.
* * *
Separately, an eyewitness told LBC radio what he saw tonight. The taxi driver said: “A van came from London Bridge itself, went between the traffic light system and rammed it towards the steps. It knocked loads of people down.
“Then three men got out with long blades, 12 inches long and went randomly along Borough High Street stabbing people at random.”
* * *
Sean Spicer confirms that the president is being kept informed about the incident.
Additionally, according to police there has been a second incident at Borough Market, as police are now dealing with two separate incidents, London Bridge and Borough Market.
* * *
In what appears to be a repeat of the deadly March 22 terrorist attack on Westminster Bridge in London, on Saturday night a white van rammed into as many as 15-20 pedestrians as “several people mowed down” on London Bridge in central London in what has been dubbed a “major incident.” The incident happened at 10.30pm on Saturday. According to preliminary reports there have been at least 6 victims, and a cab driver on the bridge has reported he saw a stabbing man. About five people were being treated for injuries after the vehicle mounted the pavement and hit them, she said.
Scotland Yard reports that in addition to the car ramming, London police say they have also responded to an incident at Borough Market; armed officers at scene. It is unclear if the two incidents are releated.
Several eyewitness accounts have emerged which suggest there have been multiple casualties, with bodies strewn across the pavement. Others reports that several people are receiving emergency treatment after being stabbed. One woman told the Sun; “We had to run there was loads of shooting”.
Armed police on Borough High Street
BBC reporter Holly Jones, who was on the bridge at the time of the incident, said the white van was driven by a male driver and was “probably travelling at about 50 miles an hour – veered of the road into the crowds of people who were walking along the pavement,” she told BBC News.”. The van, which was travelling from the direction of central London, headed towards the south side of the river.
Armed Police officers on London Bridge
According to Will Heaven, managing editor of the Spectator, a man crashed into people on the bridgge, “then there was stabbing attack.” Heaven also notes that “it seemed south side of London Bridge epicenter of what seems a terrorist attack. We have been escorted by police from bridge.” He adds that “what I saw: injured pedestrians, first responders, armed police, people running north. What I heard of: stabbings, injured.”
According to Sky News, “all the information points in the direction of another terrorist attack.”
So far there has been no official statement from the Metropolitan Police other than a Twitter message posted at 10.28pm which stated: “We are dealing with an incident on #LondonBridge, when we have more information we will update this twitter feed”.