By Zero Hedge
At least five people have been shot, including House Majority Whip Steve Scalise – the third ranking Republican – and aides, during a baseball practice in Virginia Wednesday, Fox News confirmed. The shots were reported on East Monroe Street in Del Ray, Alexandria police said on Twitter at 7:30 a.m. The location was near a YMCA.
An injured Steve Scalise is shown being carried away on a stretcher.
More breaking headlines:
- BROOKS: APPEARS SOME SECURITY DETAIL MEMBERS WERE INJURED
- BROOKS SAYS SECURITY DETAIL SHOT BACK AT ASSAILANT
- BROOKS: HELICOPTER LANDED ON FIELD TO TRANSPORT INJURED
- BROOKS: AT LEAST 5 INJURED, INCL. SCALISE, STAFFER, 2 GUARDS
- SEN. PAUL WITNESSED SHOOTING, HEARD `RAPID SUCCESSION OF SHOTS’
- SEN. PAUL: `I PROBABLY HEARD 50, 60 SHOTS’
- PAUL: EVERYONE LIKELY WOULD HAVE DIED IF NOT FOR CAPITOL POLICE
- INJURED GUNMAN IN CONGRESS MEMBER SHOOTING APPREHENDED: FOX
A reporter from the Huffington Post tweeted that a congressman said he “heard there was a shooting at the Congressional baseball game practice field.” ABC 7 News reported “multiple shooting” in the 400 block of E. Monroe Street.
Scalise, 51, is the House majority whip. He has represented Louisiana’s First Congressional District since 2008 and chairs the House Republican Study Committee. He is married with two children. Scalise’s district includes New Orleans.
According a report from Rep. Mo Brooke, who said he was not shot, more than 50 rifle shots were fired.
“We used my belt to help put a tourniquet around his leg,” says witness @RepMoBrooks of Alexandria shooting victim.
Brooks adds that a helicopter landed in center field and took one of the wounded to a hospital, Rep. Brooks said
Here is the full list of those present at the practice:
Police tweeted they “believed” the gunman was in custody. Sen. Mike Lee told Fox News, however, the gunman was dead. He said a staffer used a belt as a tourniquet to stop Scalise’s bleeding.
Live feed courtesy of CBS: Watch Video
Categories: U.S. News